Declared a place of National Heritage on December 28, 1972 and incorporated into the Andean Network of Valuing Cemeteries in 2000. Opened on May 31, 1808, it was the first General Cemetery of the city, and remained with that name until August 17, 1923, when it adopted the name of its architect Presbyter Matias Maestro. The cementary hosts more than 700 mausoleums designed from the finest architectures of the XIXth and XXth centuries mostly of neoclassical style with French and Italian influences emphasizing the use of white marble, bronze and stone. The cementary also houses one of the largest collections of European and National sculptures of South America. The graves were planned for distinguished and elite people.