This fortress was built in the Late Intermediate Period (1100-1400 A.D.) and was later occupied by the Incan Empire (1440-1532 A.D.). Its main building is called the Fortress and was built on a large rocky outcrop located in the valley of the Fortaleza River. The maximum height building is 30 metres and the entrance area is formed by a set of openings, passages and ramps.
The Peruvian State through the National Institute of Culture, has recognized the values of the Archaeological Site of the Paramonga Fortess and Annexes (Archaeological Site and Gallows Hill Cemetery Archaeological Site Gallows). A photograph taken from above the site shows the pyramid and its three bastions in the shape of a stylized flame, being the head of the "bastion" despite there being no evidence that its builders have had the intention of giving that feature construction. It is the only structure recorded in the form of a camelid.