Declared as cultural property on April 26, 1989 by the National Institute of Culture, the convent was founded in 1535 in the manor granted to the Dominican Fray Vicente de Valverde, companion of expedition of Francisco Pizarro. Its construction was delayed more than three decades and during its architectural development came to have six cloisters and three courtyards, which organized the entire Dominican life convent. The temple is crowned by a dome of great size, one of the best that located in the city, of neoclassic style and with decoration in turquoise and gold.
From the first years of the city, the sacred image of Our Lady of the Rosary of Lima is venerated, which was the original name of the convent, the first one that arrived at the Rímac valley.
It preserves the remains of Santa Rosa de Lima, the first saint of America, the outstanding Patroness of Lima and Saint Martín de Porres, the first black saint of America and a universal patron of peace.